Sunday, July 29, 2012

Member of the Week: Dasha Menafee

CAFME's full of some pretty amazing people, and we want you to get to know them. This week? Meet Dasha Menafee, a rising senior interning at ELLE Magazine this summer in New York City.


Tell us a bit about yourself.
My name is Dasha Menafee; I am a senior at UNC graduating in December 2012. I am an English major and African-American studies minor. I am from Fayetteville, North Carolina.


How did you get involved with CAFME?
I got involved in CAFMe after hearing some of my friends who are in the Journalism school talk about it. I've always been heavily interested in the magazine industry so I thought it would be a fantastic club to join.


What do you like the most about the club?
What I love the most about CAFME is the sense of community. Everyone who is a member of CAFME is willing to help each other and that can be really helpful when you're applying for internships; every member wants to see the other succeed.


What else are you involved with on campus?
On campus I have been involved with a number of publications. I was a writer for The Well-Being, UNC's health and fitness magazine. I was a street-style blogger for the Daily Tar Heel's fashion blog 'Dress Code.' Also, I was the Blog Editor for SCOPE Fashion and Lifestyle Magazine last year.


Tell us about your internship.
I am interning at ELLE Magazine in their accessories department.


How did you hear about the opportunity?
I searched for the internship using Ed2010, which is a great CAFME resource. That is where I had found my last internship at Interview Magazine.


What has been the most challenging/rewarding aspect of the internship?
The most challenging aspect of my internship thus far is to be very quick when doing tasks for the assistants and editors I work with. The fashion industry moves very fast and it is very important that you are up to date with what's happening. What's most rewarding interning at ELLE is being in the presence of the accessories and fashion editors that I have admired. It's amazing that I get to interact and learn from them every day.


What tips would you offer to others trying to follow in your footsteps?
Always follow up when applying for internships. You never know when an opportunity will suddenly e available; it's all about timing. Also, when you're on an interview, make sure to have at least five questions to ask your future employer. It shows that you are enthusiastic and very interested in the magazine or public relations company.


What would you like to do after you graduate?
Once I graduate, I hope to find a job in the fashion industry, working specifically with accessories tether it's in editorial or at a public relations agency.


What is your one Carolina must-do before you graduate?
My one Carolina must-do before I graduate is to jump over the small fire circles when UNC's basketball team wins when we play Duke's basketball team. It's very exciting and you've definitely proven yourself as a true Tarheel once you've done that.



No comments:

Post a Comment