Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Meet the Officers: Alyssa Bailey

CAFME's full of some pretty amazing people, and we want you to get to know them. This week? Meet Alyssa Bailey, CAFME's 2012-2013 co-president.


Tell us a bit about yourself.
I'm a senior journalism and French major from Ellicott City, Md. When I'm not consumed with journalism (which I wouldn't hesitate to call the love of my life), I love running, fashion and baking for others!

How did you get involved with CAFME?
I was on Ed2010's site and found UNC had a chapter. It was the summer, and I contacted then-president Sierra Piland about joining. I ended up writing for its intern diaries blog that summer (I was interning then at Washington Post Express) and attended its first meeting as soon as the year started. It's been love ever since.

What do you do on CAFME?
I'm co-president so along with Carson, I'm in charge of making sure the gears of the club work. I also serve as the face of the club and its liaison with outside organizations (so the journalism school, other clubs and Ed2010, for example). I oversee all projects and administrative tasks, distribute assignments to officers, organize club initiatives and lead meetings. I do a lot of planning: I'm constantly asking myself, "What can we do to make CAFME even better?" I present those ideas to my board (and they present theirs) and if one's really good, we run with it and make it happen. I'm dedicated to making this club better.

What do you like the most about the club?
The people. It's been so inspiring getting to know — and see — how far our members have gone. I'm constantly floored by the talent, dedication and drive of the people in this group.

What is your goal for the club this year?
To improve upon what co-presidents Sierra Piland and Nicole Yang did last year: I really want to make this club as much as a resource to members as possible and to inspire them to go big. The purpose of CAFME is to provide members an understanding of how the magazine industry works, what career options are there and how to break in if they want to. And if they want to, I want to make sure they have all the help they need doing it!

What else are you involved with?
On campus, I work on the Daily Tar Heel as a designer and with Scope.

Tell us about your magazine experience.
I've been very fortunate to have six incredible internships. I've worked as an editorial intern at Girls' Life, USA Weekend, Cosmopolitan, Women's Wear Daily in Paris and at ELLE this past summer. I was a web intern at Washington Post Express, too. I've absolutely loved all my experiences, and through them I've come to have a better sense just what it is I'd love to do: work at a women's interest or fashion magazine in New York (my summers at Cosmo and ELLE were just beyond words — such honors and pleasures!) I hope to be lucky enough to post-graduation.

Through my internships, I've really gotten a sense of the steps of the editorial process — just how much goes into a story. I've pitched, I've researched, I've interviewed, I've written, I've copy-edited. And I've adored each and every step. The more I work, the more I realize editorial really is for me. And that's so important. Don't be afraid to evaluate whether what you're doing is right for you and even admitting that maybe it's not. You've got time to adjust and should. Find the thing you're passionate about because once you do, the rest will just fall into place. You'll find a way to incorporate it into your job and will find happiness in it.

What tips would you offer to others trying to follow in your footsteps?
Don't be afraid to shoot high. I originally wasn't planning on applying to New York internships until my junior year of college. I heard about other CAFME members who had them, however, so I went for it my sophomore year, reasoning if they did, why couldn't I? I put in so many applications. There were moments I was so disheartened because I didn't hear anything. But I never gave up completely. I followed up with Cosmo, got a response and edit test, was interviewed and offered the position. I then spent one of the most incredible and rewarding summers of my life working there. You've got to be persistent. Don't let negativity, doubt or frustration cause you to create your own limits.

What would you like to do after you graduate?
I graduate in December and plan to move up to New York after. I hope to work as an editorial assistant at a women's interest or fashion magazine. We'll see how that goes! Fingers crossed!

What is your one Carolina must-do?
That's so hard! Mine's pretty college generic: just try to meet as many people as you can (Carolina is full of incredible ones) and take any opportunity that fascinates you. Have fun, soak up campus and enjoy Franklin!

No comments:

Post a Comment