Sunday, March 27, 2011

CAFME in NYC: Who's Who

Get to know the CAFME members who traveled to New York City to meet up with Ed2010!

Alexandra Brawley is a senior photojournalism major and creative writing minor at UNC-Chapel Hill. She is the photo editor of Kaleidoscope, UNC-CH’s popular fashion magazine, and is the owner of Location Designs, LLC, a company that provides on-site photography to be produced as artwork for commercial sites. This past summer she interned in the photo department at Brides magazine, which was an absolutely amazing experience! Alexandra has also been a staff photographer at The Daily Tar Heel, and has interned in the photo departments at Wrightsville Beach Magazine and Lumina News, local publications in her hometown. Growing up at the beach, she loves all things outdoors that are near or on the water.  After graduation this May, Alexandra is moving to NYC where she is determined to land an awesome position at a fashion, lifestyle or travel magazine!

My name is Alison Ives and I am a sophomore journalism major from Charlotte, North Carolina.  I’m specializing in reporting and am also pursuing a minor in creative writing.  I write for a Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill joint publication called Rival and a men’s fashion and culture magazine called Anatomy.  My ambitious but decidedly attainable career goals place me in New York City once I graduate in 2013.  I hope to write for a fashion, entertainment or lifestyle magazine full-time and publish poetry at my leisure.  Although my journalism foundation is in writing, I also have experience in photography and graphic design.  I am a proud member of the UNC dance group, Blank Canvas, and the UNC magazine organization, Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors.

Alyssa Bailey is a sophomore French and journalism double major at UNC-CH. She is concentrating in Editing and Graphic Design for her journalism sequence. Hailing from Ellicott City, Md., a suburb between Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, Alyssa has interned at three area publications, two of them national: Girls’ Life magazine, USA WEEKEND magazine and Washington Post Express. She currently writes for Girls’ Life magazine as an online contributing writer and has written for Washington Post Express as a contributor. On campus, she is a designer for The Daily Tar Heel newspaper and Kaleidoscope magazine. Before coming to UNC-CH, Alyssa spent her freshman year at the University of Maryland, College Park, where she worked on the copy and design desks of their newspaper, The Diamondback and as style editor of the school’s student life magazine, Unwind! This summer, Alyssa hopes to intern at a major magazine in New York City or Washington, D.C. When she’s not working, Alyssa loves jogging, baking cupcakes for friends and channeling Glee’s Emma Pillsbury’s fashion.



Amanda MacLaren is a senior Journalism, Reporting, major in the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Journalism and Mass Communication and a Creative Writing minor from Charlotte, NC.  She is a writer for Her Campus, and an experienced writer for The Siren, an on-campus feminist perspective magazine.  She is also an intern writer and blogger for U the Magazine, a college lifestyle magazine focusing on schools in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.  She works at Davis Library as well as the Franklin Porter Graham Student Union at UNC. She hopes to one day be a writer or editor for either a local magazine or a lifestyle magazine like Seventeen or Cosmopolitan. Amanda enjoys traveling (although she has many more places she would love to go!), working out, going to movies, taking pictures and constantly living in a summer mindset.

My name is Anne Kreuser, and I'm a senior public relations major at UNC.  I've had some wonderful experiences in consumer and corporate public relations with JCPR in London and CBS RADIO in New York.  I am also a food fanatic with an addiction to cheese. Somewhere down the road, I'd like to combine my passions for writing and eating by working a food publication.  I love New York city, and I hope to be moving there in a few short months.

Carolann Belk - I am a senior from Cary, NC double majoring in Journalism (Editing & Graphic Design) and American History at UNC-CH. I am currently an assistant design editor at The Daily Tar Heel, a designer for Carolina Passport magazine and have worked on the publicity committee for UNC Dance Marathon, the university’s largest student-run fundraiser. A couple of my guilty pleasures include picking up a tabloid magazine each time I go through the checkout line and reading Cosmopolitan front to back every month. Next year I plan to move to New York to pursue a career in magazine design, and eventually I hope to work for the art department at a major national magazine like Cosmo or Rolling Stone. 

Dan Byrnes - Hi! I’m a senior at UNC double-majoring in Public Relations and Global Studies with a minor in Hispanic Studies. I also have experience and interest in magazine writing and photojournalism. I was born and raised in Charlotte, N.C. Last summer, I interned with the English Department of China.org.cn, a government-run news website in Beijing. I primarily edited content and wrote stories. It was an awesome opportunity that sparked my interest for international reporting. I am in my third year of working for Schmap, an internet-based startup company, as a social media intern. My favorite publications are National Geographic, Outside, GQ, Backpacker and Esquire. I like to volunteer as a writing coach at an elementary school in Chapel Hill, rock climb, run, watch movies, read and cook.

Emily Nycum is a junior Journalism (Reporting) major and Art History minor.  She's a staff photographer for Kaleidoscope Magazine and has contributed stories for various campus publications, including Her Campus UNC, Passport Magazine and the Reese Felts Digital Newsroom. Emily is excited about her new internship this semester with Lara Casey Media, the umbrella company for Southern Weddings Magazine, Lara Casey Reps and Making Things Happen 2011.  Previously, Emily photographed for The Daily Tar Heel and interned with NC Wine Press Magazine and Grassy Creek Winery.  In the spring of 2010, she studied abroad in and fell in love with Florence, Italy. Emily is often seen with her beloved Nikon in hand, the source of over 20,000 pictures over the last few years.  Emily also adores Impressionist art, blogging, traveling the world and Stabilo pens!

Hannah Taylor is a senior news editorial major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at UNC-Chapel Hill. She has interned with Skirt! in Charlotte, N.C. and BUST Magazine in New York City. She is currently a freelance writer for the Carolina Alumni Review and the co-editor of the Durham VOICE, a community newspaper. Most of all she is passionate about working for progressive women's magazines, and the honest, courageous writing of community journalism.

My name is Mary Avant, and I'm a senior reporting major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I'm also a Russian Culture minor who loves reading 19th century Russian literature every chance I get. Outside of school, I’m a member of Carolina Vibe, a student-run dance organization, and a big sports fan – especially of ice hockey and college basketball. I currently intern with QSR magazine, a national B2B magazine with a focus on the quick-serve industry. This past summer, I studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland, where I also interned at Business Plus, Ireland's largest business magazine. Last semester, I worked at Carolina Woman, a women's magazine, where I wrote fashion, health and food articles. After graduation, I plan to move to New York and pursue a career on the editorial side of the magazine industry. Working for a major women’s magazine is my dream, and I’m ready to start making that happen!

Meghan DeMaria is a sophomore Classical Civilization and English double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Meghan is an editorial staff member at Kaleidoscope Fashion Magazine at UNC, and writes a weekly philanthropy column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. She is currently a guest writer/intern at www.cocokouture.com and www.scenebseen.com. Meghan is also the Philanthropic Society President of the Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies, a debate and literary society and the oldest student organization at UNC Chapel Hill. She has served as a class representative of academic excellence at her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and is working to graduate as a Public Service Scholar with 300 hours of community service. In her spare time, Meghan enjoys reading fashion magazines and blogs and discovering new music. Meghan hopes intern with a national magazine this summer and to write for a national magazine after graduation. 

My name is Melissa Cahoon and I’m a senior graphic design major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I also enjoy blogging, social media and web design. When I’m not in class, I spend my time working for Heelprint Communications, a student-run strategic communications agency, and 3 Birds Marketing, an interactive marketing agency in Chapel Hill.
I love magazine design and would love to find a career designing layouts for a national magazine; being creative while abiding by a publication’s style guide is right up my alley – I love the challenge! I think New York would be an especially interesting place to live as a young college graduate. I live a life of spontaneity and what better place to explore than a city that never sleeps?

Missy Fournier is a junior Journalism, Public Relations, and Communication Studies, Interpersonal Communication, double major. She has been Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus since its founding in August 2010. She is also Columns Editor for Blue and White Magazine and a writer for UNC-CH’s fashion magazine Kaleidoscope. She has had PR internships with two local non-profits, and currently interns with international fashion blog, www.collegefashionista.com and Carolina Woman Magazine. She is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha. Missy loves to write and hopes to continue this passion through the magazine industry.

Natasha Duarte - I’m a senior reporting and English double major at UNC-Chapel Hill. As a sophomore I started writing for Blue & White, UNC’s premiere monthly magazine, where I later became the blog editor and most recently associate editor, one of three higher-level editing positions. I am a senior editor, reporter and photographer for The Northeast Central Durham VOICE, a community newspaper serving Durham’s most underrepresented, low-income minority neighborhoods and produced by students at UNC, N.C. Central University and Durham high schools. I have interned at local magazines and daily newspapers and I currently work for the UNC Arts and Sciences Foundation, where I do research and write Web content and stewardship letters. I’m also interested in media/Internet law and I’m currently working on a research paper on search neutrality.

Rachel Bennett is a junior journalism major and cinema studies minor at UNC-Chapel Hill, and she has been a contributing writer for Her Campus since the fall of 2010. Rachel has also written for The Siren, UNC-CH’s feminist magazine, and has been an editorial writer and online staffer at The Daily Tat Heel. As a content development intern for Bloginity, an entertainment news site, she has written numerous articles about her passions: movies and television. Just ask her about any television show (especially ‘Mad Men’) or movie, and she could pretty much talk for hours. She also enjoys women’s studies, chocolate and spending time with family and friends. Although her roots and heart are in the South, she has dreams of working in New York City as a film and television critic in the magazine industry.

Rachel Coleman is a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill from Greenville, NC.  As a journalism major with a huge interest in fashion and traveling, she hopes to one day write for magazines like Vogue or Travel + Leisure. Rachel currently writes art and concert reviews for the Daily Tar Heel newspaper and copy edits stories for Passport magazine, a student literary publication. She previously worked as an editorial assistant at an online publication for families that travel, and she loves using social networking websites like Facebook and Twitter. In her free time, she enjoys painting, reading and discovering new fashion blogs.

Rylan Miller - I’m a UNC junior majoring in Journalism (Reporting and Editing sequence) and minoring in History.  I’ve written for The Daily Tar Heel since 2008, when I started working for the Features Desk.  Since then, I’ve become involved in other on-campus publications such as Passport and The Well-Being.  My obsession with magazines began when I was in elementary school. I would annoyingly steal my dad’s subscription copies of Time, Newsweek and National Geographic, read them cover-to-cover, cut out pictures and, most of the time, never return them. Luckily for him, I started subscribing to magazines on my own when I reached high school and left his alone.  I hope to find a magazine internship in New York this summer that lets me build on the writing, editing, researching and social networking skills I’ve gained at UNC, and learn others that I need to thrive in the magazine industry.

Sierra Piland is a junior Journalism - Graphic Design and Communication Studies - Media Production double major at UNC-CH. In addition to serving as the president of the Ed2010 branch at UNC-CH (UNC's magazine club), she is Design Director of UNC’s popular fashion magazine Kaleidoscope and recently founded the UNC campus branch of Her Campus online magazine. Sierra has been on staff with The Daily Tar Heel design department and was an officer in her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega. This past summer, she interned with MTV Networks, working in the website department of CMT (Country Music Television) and is currently an art intern at Southern Weddings magazine. Sierra hopes to land a stellar internship with a major magazine this summer in NYC. She loves ice cream, the beach, camping and hanging out with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment